Wednesday 4 June 2014

Freedom! Henderson's Review and Party Planning

Oh hello again, life!

I finally finished my exams on 30th May, so I have the time and energy to do regular blog posts and other frivolous things once more! I have been relishing my long-lost freedom - baking sessions, G&Ts, sunbathing, a mini-shopping spree, sleeping past 5.30am, party planning and a trip to Edinburgh have all taken place in the last 5 days... So I'm loving life at the minute - at least until I need to get a summer job!



At the moment, things are revolving mainly around organising my joint (belated) birthday party with my housemate this weekend. It's a tropical 'Lana Del Rey-meets-1960s-Miami-tiki-party' theme, so we've been planning cocktail punch bowls and retro themed nibbles and decorations. So far I've dip-dyed a bed sheet for a sunset wall-hanging, made some enormous flower 'pom-pom' decorations and lots of flowery garlands. I'm hoping to do a little post-party round-up/'how-to' on the preparations and decorations some time soon.


One of the flower pom pom decorations

Dip-dyed bed sheet

Dip-dyed hands

I also need to have a little gush over an amazing restaurant that my boyfriend and I found today during our day trip to Edinburgh. Henderson's is a great little deli and bistro with a fantastic vegetarian restaurant in the basement. Although neither of us are vegetarian, they offer a range of vegan (i.e. lactose-free) and gluten-free options, perfect for my dietary difficulties! The best part though, was discovering that the gluten-free and dairy-free choices extended to the dessert menu - I was ridiculously happy to be able to choose something other than an unimaginative fruit salad. We shared a creamy vegan raspberry and lime cheesecake and a huge dense slab of rich chocolate nut cake between us.

Dheraj got a haggis pie from Grassmarket - definitely not gluten free!

Auld Jock's Haggis Pie

Enjoying our delicious gluten-free and dairy-free puddings at Henderson's

The atmosphere there was cosy and friendly, the staff were really helpful and the service was efficient. It had a lovely Mediterranean vibe with the white stucco walls, soft candle-light and pine and sea-green painted furniture.  I would definitely go again next time I'm up, and recommend it to anyone in the area - whether or not you are veggie, vegan or gluten-free.

Maia x

No comments:

Post a Comment